Thursday, September 13, 2012

Food Poem Assignment



Here is a suggestion for this week's menu entree.  You can do this or another writing option from the Menu Entree Options page.

--------------------------------------
Food Poem - Brainstorm

Macaroni
Macaroni and cheese
Macaroni and tomatoes
Macaroni killing the disposal in St. George
Macaroni killing the disposal in California
Macaroni necklace strung on yarn
Macaroni glued onto a paper in kindergarten and again onto an empty soup can in 3rd grade
Macaroni Grille where I learned to say how are you in Italian in the bathroom
Macaroni salad that Doug made for me when I was pregnant the first time
Macaroni with food coloring, I can’t remember why.
Dumping the cheese into the boiling water along with the Macaroni
Stuck a feather in his hat and called it macaroni
Elbow macaroni that looks nothing like my elbows
Macaroni used for a teeny straw


Top Ten Days of Macaroni


Day One: The day we ate macaroni and cheese AND macaroni and tomatoes for dinner for the 134th time in my life.  It was a staple in my house growing up.  I guess we always had macaroni and we always had cheese and tomatoes. 

Day Two: The day my kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Wall, had us glue macaroni to make a picture of a turkey.  I was very impressed with myself, even if my paper wrinkled with the extra glue. And Eric Yoxtheimer showed us that if you smeared your fingers in glue and let it dry you could make it look like you were peeling your fingers off.  Which was much more exciting than the macaroni turkey.

Day Three: The day I made too much macaroni for my big family and had to throw it down the disposal, which coughed, spit, sputtered, backed up, and then splutted it all out the sides of the pipes under the sink.  It took me 2 hours to clean up all the soggy macaroni and well over a year to stop feeling guilty for ruining the plumbing in the St. George family condo.

Day Four: The day I did it again in the Laguna Beach family condo.  What was the definition of idiot?

Day Five: The day I made a macaroni necklace in Sunday School.  I’m sure it was a symbol of salvation or charity or something.  I just remember it was hard to get the red yarn through the curvy holes and when we were done, the yarn left fuzz on my tongue when I tried to crunch the macaroni while I waited for Sunday dinner.

Day Six: The day I glued macaroni to an empty Campbell’s Tomato Soup can to make a pencil holder for my mom.  Even though I worked for many tedious minutes in 3rd grade art class to get the macaroni design just right, it still didn’t turn out to be worthy of how much I loved My Mom.

Day Seven: The day I went with my friends to Macaroni Grille.  The day I tasted balsamic oil and vinegar on French bread.  The day I wrote on the table cloth in crayons.  The day I learned how to say how are you in Italian.

Day Eight: The day my sisters and I were babysitting our little brothers and discovered that if you got your head clear down by the bowl of milk, you could use a macaroni for a straw.

Day Nine: The day I noticed that elbow macaroni looks nothing like my elbows.  Or anyone else’s for that matter.

Day Ten: The day when I was big enough to make dinner, but not big enough to know that I should take the cheese packet out before I dumped the box into the boiling water.

Day Eleven: The day when I was in my first trimester and green as the old carpet and Doug made me his mission-famous macaroni salad.  I haven’t been able to look at any macaroni salad the same way since.

Okay, eleven.  And overall, macaroni has been a general disappointment in my life, but maybe I’ve just been using it the wrong way.

No comments:

Post a Comment