Wednesday, October 3, 2012

8th grade Poetry Analysis - TPCASTT Notes



TP-CASTT – Figuring out Poetry - Notes from Class - Sample Analysis

Title   
The Farewell
Ponder the title before reading the poem
What you do when you’re saying goodbye
What or who is he saying farewell to?


Paraphrase        
Translate the poem into your own words

Some people say the ice won’t break with me on it so I step out on it.  I have to believe what they tell me because I always trust people.  And of course it breaks open and because I never allow myself to get bugged, I slip into the water, standing up straight like it’s no big deal.  I wear the hat that says I’m in control and I can handle this okay, telling those who are watching “goodbye” as the ice closes shut over my head in a final decision of my fate in the cold water.
Connotation     
Contemplate the poem for meaning beyond the literal (Interpretation)

I think it’s saying how even though he knows better he feels compelled to do what people tell him to do and to not complain when things turn out badly.  He somehow has gained a reputation that way and even though it’s not what’s best for him, he doesn’t feel like he can change.
Attitude              
Observe both the speaker’s and the poet’s attitude (tone, diction, images, mood, etc.)

Sad, lamenting, tolerating and smiling outside but inside bugged about himself and “them”
Shifts                   
Note shifts in speakers and in attitudes (are there changes?)

Click
Title                      
Examine the title again, this time on an interpretive level

He wants to say goodbye to his self-defeating tendencies but he can’t.
Theme                 
Determine what the poet is saying

Listen to your own best judgment instead of listening to the proverbial “they” and you will be truly happy instead of just pretending.


No comments:

Post a Comment